In this video, we discuss strategies you can use to build trust and cooperation with your child. We highlight the importance of understanding your child’s signals and how to respond to them in a warm and sensitive way.
Learning Area(s): Language and Communication; Social and Emotional
- Read your child’s signals
- Observe facial expressions or actions
- Carefully listen and ask questions
- Give your child time to think and respond
- Once you notice a signal, respond right away
- Respond in a sensitive way
- Give your child positive praise
- Name and talk about emotions
Reflect on the following:
- How and when does your child show positive signals?
- Consider when and in what types of situations your child shows negative signals.
- What facial expressions does your child make when they feel a negative emotion?
- What are sensitive things you can say when your child has a negative signal?
- What are some emotion words you want your child to learn next?