In this video you will learn how to make books come alive for your child. You will go over some tips on how to make reading fun and how to help your child learn more while reading! This will help your child develop a love for reading and get him ready for kindergarten.
Learning Area(s): Language and Communication; Reading and Writing
- Before reading, get into a comfortable reading position
- During reading, ask child a variety of questions
- After reading, ask child to recall events/facts from the story
- Let your child hold the book and turn the page
- Use character voices dramatically
- Act out the story with gestures
- Point to pictures and illustrations
- Expand on your child’s ideas
Reflect on the following:
- What are some places you and your child are most comfortable reading?
- When would be the best time to read with your child?
- Consider the books or stories your child may be most interested in reading.
- Where is your nearest public library? When can you visit?
- What kind of questions can you ask your child while reading?
- Consider who your child may enjoy retelling the story to.