In this video you will learn about the importance of talking to your child and how to keep the conversation going. We discuss strategies you can use that will make having extended conversations with your child easy and enjoyable.
Learning Area(s):Language and Communication
- Minimize distractions and talk with your child.
- Ask open-ended questions or suggest an activity to do together.
- Follow your child’s lead.
- Pause and patiently wait for your child to respond.
- “Strive for five” to have back and forth conversations with at least five turns as you and your child talk.
- Repeat or restate what your child says to show that you’re listening.
- Expand on what your child says.
- Avoid talk stoppers! Keep the conversation going.
Reflect on the following:
- What are some ways you want to unplug and tune in with your child?
- What distractions could make talking with your child challenging?
- What would be a good time to unplug and tune in with your child?
- Consider routines that could help you to have conversations with your child.
- How might you continue to manage distractions during interactions with your child as they grow up?